Berlin, Germany

This week my daughters had what they call Fall Vacation here in The Netherlands. Years ago my husband and I went to Berlin, Germany, with two friends, and we thought it would be nice to go back there for a couple of days, because it's a great city with good vibes. 

Here are some highlights

Brandenburger Tor


Approaching from the west



Eastside, at the start of Unter den Linden


The quadriga on the Brandenburger Tor (quadriga being Latin for a four horse chariot)


Neues Museum

My nine year old daughter is bit into Ancient Egypt, so we had to visit the Neues Museum, of course. Unfortunately it wasn't allowed to takes pictures of their most beautiful piece: the bust of Nefertiti. Nonetheless: it was great! Really something I would recommend to anyone who's visiting Berlin.  





My favorite piece was Nefertiti, but of course this mummy was the favorite piece of my daughters. To see a real mummy was on their wish list for quite a while. They only were a little, just a little bit disappointed they couldn't see its real face :-) .




Checkpoint Charlie and The Berlin Wall

When I was young, the wall was still there and we grew up with the wall as a fact, not really knowing the how and why as a child. I can still remember the news flash that told about the fall of the wall, the images of people climbing over it, the happiness. Maybe that's why I'm still so impressed every time I'm in Berlin, thinking about something like a wall to prevent people fleeing from east to west could exist. 

 
  
Russian Soldier facing the West side (on the other side of the board sits an American soldier facing the east side)
 

East Side Gallery, the longest remaining piece of wall (1,3 km). Throughout the city are pieces of wall to find everywhere, but only for a couple of meters. 



Peace


West Side



Where the wall was teared down you can follow these cobble stones as a ribbon throughout the city


Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche


This in WWII heavy bombed church is kept in its miserable state as a reminder to us all.

 


 Damaged Ceiling



The plaque before the statue says: 
Forgive us our sins like we forgive those who sin against us

Random Pics


Old and New (Fernseh Turm and St Mary's Church)




Bears are the symbol of Berlin



Subway Station



Fernseh Turm at Alexander Platz




Trabant Cars from East Berlin, made of a mix of plastic and old shirts, are real collector's items



Man made mural art



Natural mural art






Comments

  1. One of my favorite cities! So glad you got to see it and have a great weekend! #smallvictories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...everything looks so cool! I've never been, but wow!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O I would LOVE to visit Berlin someday. It's definitely on my list... I didn't realize there was still such a long stretch of the berlin wall still standing!
    Thanks for linking up at Share the Wealth Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures! Just like you I grew up with the wall as a fact. My parents currently live in Berlin and hopefully next time my husband and I fly over to visit we'll be able to see some of the sightseeings. Great post, I enjoyed reading it.
    Best,
    Bibi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks this is massively interesting, I am glad you got to go back and see it so many years later.

    Kathleen
    Blogger's Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun and interesting city! Love all of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tour! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Air Mail

Crochet Bag